The statuette was made to house a relic of St George that Archbishop Ernst of Cologne sent in 1586 to his brother Duke Wilhelm V of Bavaria.
In the seventeenth century, the statuette was displayed on important feast days on the altar of the Rich Chapel in the Munich Residence.
The bearded face of the saint behind the movable visor is carved from boxwood and resembles that of the man who commissioned the statuette, Duke Wilhelm V.
Statuette of St George (gold, enamel, silver-gilt, diamonds, rubies, emeralds, opals, agate, chalcedony, rock crystal and other precious stones, pearls; height 50 cm); Munich, 1586/97
| top |