IT DE

Main information:

Munich Residence

Picture: Façade on Max-Joseph-Platz
Picture: Bronze sculpture of a lion in front of the west façade by Carlo di Cesare del Palagio, around 1593/96
Picture: View of the Residence and the Court Garden from the north-east, copper engraving by Michael Wening, 1701
Picture: Façade on Residenzstraße
Picture: The Munich Residence and Court Garden (aerial view)
Picture: View of the Residence from the west, copper engraving by Michael Wening, 1701
Picture: View of the Festival Hall Building from the Court Garden

The Munich Residence served as the seat of government and residence of the Bavarian dukes, electors and kings from 1508 to 1918. What began in 1385 as a castle in the north-eastern corner of the city (the Neuveste, or new citadel), was transformed by the rulers over the centuries into a magnificent palace, its buildings and gardens extending further and further into the town.

The rooms and art collections spanning a period that begins with the Renaissance, and extends via the early Baroque and Rococo epochs to Neoclassicism, bear witness to the discriminating taste and the political ambition of the Wittelsbach dynasty.

Much of the Residence was destroyed during the Second World War, and from 1945 it was gradually reconstructed. Today, with the museums of the Bavarian Palace Department (the Residence Museum itself, the Treasury and the Cuvilliés Theatre) along with other cultural institutions, this is one of the largest museum complexes in Bavaria.

Here you can find a plan showing the layout of the Munich Residence.

| top |